If you are fortunate enough to get to spend the day with your kids when they have a P.D. day then you know if you don’t make some sort of plan that by noon your head will be spinning and the whining will begin. These are bonus days for kids and can make for a super fun long weekend. If you live in Niagara there are tons of things to do both at home and in the community.
If you are going to stay home, here are some ways to keep your kids entertained.
1. Bake with your kids. I know I say this a lot but I love baking with my kids. They love getting right in there and getting their hands dirty. It will take up a good portion of your day, it doesn’t cost much money, and at the end of it your kids get to have an awesome treat!
2. Get outside. Even if it’s just for a few minutes it will help get them away from their electronics, at least for a bit of their day. And go with them! You don’t want to be cooped up all day either
3. Here are some fun crafts that are easy and don’t require anything more than what you can get with a quick trip to the dollar store.
4. Do a playdate swap with another mom. You can offer to take her kids for the morning and in return you will take hers for the afternoon. This is a full day of playtime for your kids with their friends without you having to entertain for an entire day. And you will get half a day to yourself!
If you are looking to take your kids out there are tons of fun things to do around town. Here are just a few
1. The Art Hub. From 9am – 3pm you can bring your child age 1-6 and have a full day of art, crafts and painting. You must pack a lunch and snacks for your child. Cost is $35 and you must register in advance at
2. Heartland Forest. From 11-2 you can come out for a campfire cookout! There will be movies playing inside and bring your toonies for smores and spiderdogs outside! This is a free event and registration is not required
3. Club Jump. You can choose a half day or full day where your child will participate in activities such as dance, yoga, gymnastics, games and a talent show. There will also be arts and crafts. Cost is Half Day $25 (9-12) or Full Day $35 (1-4) You must provide a lunch and snacks for your child. Register in advance at firstname.lastname@example.org
4. St. Catharines Museum. From 2-4 your child can come out for a fun, hands on presentation by E-Bots. Pre-registration is recommended and a suggested donation of $2 per child would be appreciated. For registration call 905.984.8880 or email@example.com.
Remeber, P.D. days are meant to be fun! No need to stay inside watching t.v. all day with all that there is to do. Hopefully this will help when your kids say "I'm bored!"